My Toxic Relationship With Technology






I will admit I have a very bad relationship with technology. Growing up while I was that kid no one wanted to play with I turned to technology. I remember spending tons of time on my family computer doing First In Math courses or practicing my reading skills on Starfall. And I guess since technology was newer to my parents I had a lack of cybersecurity, Which led me to go on websites and apps that a middle schooler shouldn’t have. I remember when Kik, snapchat  and instagram were super popular in my school. We would create group chats and post “selfies” etc. Looking back on it I did make good memories on snapchat and such but I became very self critical of myself and became addicted to getting validation from others. Now I don’t use those apps as much when it comes to posting myself but I do use filters on snapchat. There always has to be one on. I don’t know why but I just don’t like posting anything without this specific one. 



The Horrors of Kik Messenger..



When it comes to technology like computers and such I think it’s taking way too much of my time. Originally I thought getting a laptop and an Ipad would make school so much easier but now I just end up getting distracted and playing sims 4 when I shouldn't be. So I’ve gone back to traditional paper and pencil notes and I am not going to lie, it works but I am now trying to find a way that is even more efficient. Furthermore I think technology sometimes distracts me more than I'd like it to. I think to use it as a way to escape just like any other person. I’d rather watch a true crime documentary or scroll endlessly on Tik Tok than watch the news sometimes. But I am actively trying to get better at that because I can’t just shut everything out because it’s too sad, or it’s information overload. 


I don’t think technology has played a bad role in my personal relationships with my friends and boyfriend but definitely my family. I’m not on Facebook much but when I do look I always see someone in my family exposing someone or arguing with their significant other. So yeah technology has now made it okay to take personal disagreements outside into the “virtual world”. 


Example of people bringing disputes online


When it comes to my digital footprint I always tried to be very careful when just incase someone wanted to look me up for a job so if you happen to look up my first and last name my linkedin would pop up. 

Lastly for me technology is toxic but there are some good things that I have gotten out of it. While technology  has taken a toll on me and affected me at a very young age it has also given me the chance to meet some of the most amazing people, helped me get through those hard times in school with studying apps, and has given me the chance to share important milestones in my life with family members that are over 1,000 miles away. 


-Thank you Professor Dean Smith for your wonderful lessons this semester! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Age of AI

Speech Theories Blog Post

EOTO Presentation Reflection